Having a smartphone is not a choice anymore but has become a necessity in today’s time. From a school going kid to a granny, everyone has at least one smartphone and is highly addicted to it.
From the moment we wake up, we start browsing the Internet to check the news, browse our social media accounts, book movie tickets, pay electricity bills, book a taxi, order food, online shopping, and a lot more. And all of this is done via mobile apps.
As compared to the earlier years, when life wasn’t dependent on mobile devices, people nowadays have countless mobile apps on their phones. Every moment people across the world download mobile apps to carry out their important tasks and make lives easier and comfortable as never before.
Mobile Apps Gaining Momentum in 2020
As per a recent report by Statista, it was recorded that around 28.7 billion apps were downloaded from Google Play and 9.1 million apps were downloaded in the Apple App Store in the second quarter of 2020.
By this, you can get a fair idea that there are countless mobile apps lying on the Play Store and App Store. Every moment, a new mobile app is launched, which outdates the existing ones and overrules in the mobile app development industry.
It clearly indicates that if you develop a mobile app, it needs to offer something unique and is user-friendly so as to grab the customer’s attention. Only then can you expect the user to download your app and use it in the long run. So, it is very important to develop a robust app that has a user-friendly interface and comprises the features that your potential and target customers are expecting.
For this, every developer must be aware of the latest mobile app development technologies that are being practiced in the industry lately.
Popular Technologies to Develop Robust Mobile Apps in 2020
When we talk about 2020, where the competition is very stiff in the market, it becomes inevitable for developers to have wide market exposure and knowledge of all these mobile app development technologies so as develop an app that is appreciated and loved by the customers.
So, in this post, we are going to discuss the popular technologies that can help you develop advanced and aesthetic mobile apps in 2020 and grab the attention of customers this year and beyond. Without wasting any more time, let’s get started!
Created by Google, Flutter is an open-source UI software development framework that was released in the year 2017. The framework helps developers to build apps for iOS, Android, Linux, Windows, Mac, Google Fuchsia, and so on. With Flutter, developers can develop a native mobile app with one codebase i.e., one codebase and one programming language can be used to develop two different apps (Android and iOS).
Reasons to Bank on Flutter
- Flutter is an open-source framework and is free to use. It offers extensive documentation and community support to assist the developers with any sort of issues they encounter.
- Flutter provides a common code that operates seamlessly on both Android and iOS. Since there are no restrictions with Flutter, you can experience rich UX performance in Flutter.
- The hot reload feature of Flutter makes it a preferable choice which enables developers to instantly go through the changes that are carried out in the code on emulators, hardware, and simulators. In no time, the modified code is reloaded while the application is operating with no requirement for a restart.
- As widgets are app’s components and not the platform, there is less scope of compatibility issues on numerous OS versions.
Major apps that are built using Flutter are Google Ads, Hamilton Musical, Hookle, Birch Finance, Cryptograph, and so on.
Released in the year 1995, Java was developed by James Gosling. It is a class-based and object-oriented programming language. With Java, compiled Java code runs on all types of platforms that support Java without the requirement of recompilation. Java is free to access programming language and operate on all platforms. Java is concurrent, class-based, object-oriented, and independent programming language.
Reasons to Bank on Java
- Java is easy to write, use, compile, debug, and learn programming language, unlike the other alternatives. Since it uses automatic memory allocation, Java becomes simpler than C++.
- Java accompanies the concepts of inheritance, encapsulation, polymorphism, abstraction, and so on, which enables developers to create modular programs and reusable code.
- Java has a wide active user community and support available.
- Java comprises effective development tools such as NetBeans and Eclipse SDK that have debugging capability and provide an integrated development environment.
Major apps that are built using Java are VLC Media Player, Bitcoin Wallet Android, SeeWeather, Telegram for Android, Omni-Notes, and so on.
First released in 1991, Python is a high-level, interpreted, general purpose programming language. The language supports multiple programming paradigms, such as structural, object-oriented, and functional programming. Python has an easy and simple syntax that focuses on readability and further minimizes the cost of program maintenance. It even supports modules and packages and inspires program modularity and code re-use.
Reasons to Bank on Python
- Python emphasizes on code reusability and is versatile, easy to learn, use, well-structured, and readability.
- Python is an open-source language that has a vibrant community. Developers can download Python for free and write code in no time in a hassle-free manner.
- Python is easy to learn and rapid to develop while using less code, which helps you save a lot of time, effort, and capital.
- Python is fast, easy to deploy and assists in developing scalable web applications.
Major apps that are built using Python include- Pinterest, Instagram, Youtube, and so on.
Developed by Apple Inc., Swift was first released in 2014. Swift is a multi-paradigm, general purpose, and compiled programming language developed for iPadOS, iOS, macOS, tvOS, Linux, and watchOS. Swift has an expressive and concise syntax that is safe by design and produces software that runs lightning-fast. Swift is developed with the open-source LLVM compiler framework.
Reasons to Bank on Swift
- Swift has a super open-source community where developers can improve Swift language, add new features and platforms, contribute to bug fixes, and so on.
- Swift programming language comes up with easy code readability, which makes it easy for developers to read and write.
- Swift is popular for easy code maintenance as all the content of header and implementation files are combined in a single file (.swift). Here, the developers need not maintain separate files in Swift and can operate or more functional segments like app logic.
- Swift turns out to be a super-fast alternative for iPhone app development.
Major apps that are built using Swift include- Linkedin, Lyft, and Hipmunk, and a lot more.
Reasons to Bank on React Native
- React Native assists businesses in saving a lot of time and future costs and this is the prominent reason why businesses prefer banking on React Native.
- The hot reload feature allows the developers to refresh the apps in the React Native app development stage, which helps in improving the development time.
- React Native enables developers to add plugins and has a very flexible platform with pragmatic interfaces that are backed by customization options.
- With React Native, developers can build cross-platforms without worrying much about the costs.
Popular apps that are built over React Native Myntra, AirBnB, UberEats, Facebook Ads Manager, Instagram, and so on.
First appeared in 2011, Kotlin is a cross-platform, statically typed programmed language with type inference. It is fully interoperated with Java and the JVM version of its standard library based on the Java Class Library. The language is for the Java Virtual Machine (JVM) and can be utilized anywhere like server, web, client, and Android development. Why developers love using Kotlin is that it has clean language design and effective features.
Reasons to Bank on Kotlin
- Kotlin enables its developers to write less code and experience great readability while results in fewer bugs.
- Getting started with Kotlin is extremely easy for developers like you need to assign only 2-3 developers for moving a project to Kotlin, beginning from a small part of the codebase.
- Kotlin imposes no runtime overhead and has a strong community that attracts wider developers towards Kotlin.
- Kotlin development provides enhanced and higher-level safety.
Major companies that use Kotlin includes- Trello, Google, Kickstarter, Uber, and Pinterest.
The mobile app development industry is a segment that continuously evolves and comes up with new development tools and technologies every day. As of now, the above share technologies are recently used and are expected to stay in the mobile app development industry for a longer time. So, developers and business owners need to be aware of these trending technologies that will definitely help them in better mobile app development lifecycle.
About the Author:
Liza Kosh: is a senior content developer and a blogger who loves to share her views on diverse topics. She holds great knowledge and experience in technical and creative writing and is currently associated with Seasia Infotech who provides Mobile App Development Services