No matter what industry you are in or the market you serve, your company depends on accurate data about your customers to make profitable business decisions. This is true for product development and customer service, but it is also vital for marketing professionals.
Marketers are always working to push the envelope to develop focused marketing messages to meet the needs of their audience. Marketers and business owners alike are rethinking how they attract, engage, and convert their target audience to boost conversions and increase revenue.
IoT technology is going to reshape how marketers use their finite time and resources to reach their ideal customer base. This emerging technology not only offers new ways to pinpoint who they are trying to achieve, but IoT technology will also reshape how marketers position their brand to their audience.
Let’s take a look at the top three ways that IoT technology will reshape the future of marketing. You can use this information to rethink your marketing strategy for the upcoming years, so your business can grow, and you can hit your goals!
1. Programmatic Advertising Will Be Dominant
As more devices become connected, marketers will begin to gain new data points and information about their customers. This information will enable marketers to optimize their marketing message based on real-time needs and desires of their clients.
Not only will these devices allow marketing to improve their marketing message, but they will also enable marketing professionals to buy ads using automatic bidding systems on various marketing channels. These programmatic ads will be served to customers based on real-time data that is interpreted by sophisticated algorithms and big data processing. This programmatic marketing will take place on PPC marketing services, as well as, other services like Netflix, Amazon, and social media networks.
Marketers will select IoT technology and programmatic marketing techniques because this approach promises to boost efficiency and save money by spending more of their marketing budget based on real-time data provided by their customers rather than the current method of trial and error.
2. IoT Technology Will Connect Consumers And Their Products
IoT technology sits at the forefront of business technology systems and promotion because as more devices become connected marketers can collect massive amounts of relevant and valuable data about customers on an individual basis. The real value of IoT technology for marketers is not just the amount of data, but also the uniqueness of that data for each customer on a personal basis.
Forward-looking marketers should consider how their department can begin developing a connected ecosystem of customers, goods, and entrepreneurs that could interact in real time using IoT technology.
The great thing about IoT technology will be that all data collected will be connected and related to other data that is relevant to each data point. Marketers will be able to connect with their customers in a highly personalized manner to deliver customized messages to each customer based on the data their devices are transmitting at a given time.
3. Connected Devices, Homes, and Intelligent Cities
With the improvement of IoT technologies in our everyday lives, we are starting to see how it’s impacting our lives at every level. From adjusting our temperatures and lights in our houses to catering the very best content according to our tastes, IoT is going to affect every area of our lives.
Here are some examples of devices groupings that make up the connected home and also the way that entrepreneurs will use IoT technologies to improve their marketing campaigns:
- Smart Thermostats: An excellent example is Google’s Nest, is that in the future marketers will be able to learn the preferred home temperatures and other aspects of a customer’s home. Marketers will have the ability to determine household routines, and even incorporate their information with air filtration methods. This will unlock opportunities for entrepreneurs to personalize their message based on pollutants along with other elements in a customer’s house.
- Smart Lights: Systems like Philips’ Hue which may be used to therapeutically control the lighting environment in consumer’s homes and public areas like a hospital. Marketers will have the ability to personalize their message regarding indoor lighting needs dependent on the usage and tastes of the clients.
- Personal Wearables: Devices like the Fitbit will track physiological activity from running to sleeping for individuals throughout their daily routines. These devices will become omnipresent, and they will collect more complex data about different uses as their sophistication and capabilities improve. These devices will stream information to a central database, where marketers will be able to segment and derive business decisions based on real-time data across various subsets of an individual’s daily routine.
- Transportation & Communication Systems: Individuals spend a lot of time commuting to and from work. In fact, it is estimated that each worker spends about 10 hours a week driving just for their profession, and even more for recreational and personal errands. Self-driving car technology will enable marketers to communicate a marketing message with their audience in new and exciting ways through IoT technology since autonomous cars will remove people from physically driving. This time will allow marketers to communicate with their customers through engaging content that is not possible at present time as autonomous cars become more prevalent in smart cities of the future.
Chris is an SEO Marketing Strategy Consultant who helps small business owners grow their business. He is passionate about digital marketing, emerging technologies, and transportation issues.